Nam June Paik
Art Center Prize
Nam June Paik Art Center (NJPAC) is devoted to creative and critical research on artist and thinker Paik to reinvigorate his vision and practice. It is also an important task for NJPAC to support both emerging and established artists and among the efforts made to do so is Nam June Paik Art Center Prize. The NJPAC Prize is awarded to those who inherit Paik’s creativity and experimentality in a relevant way today, who put cross- and trans-boundary practices into action, and who develop a new way of communication in the context of contemporary art and technology.
· One artist (or team of artists) will be nominated by each member of the nomination committee.
· Jury members review and select the winner.
· The winner’s exhibition and public programs including talks, performances, screenings, workshops, etc. will take place at Nam June Paik Art Center.
Nam June Paik Art Center Prize aims to acknowledge artists who:
· as Paik saw the artist’s role as consisting in “thinking about the future,” show groundbreaking vision into the future through incessant artistic exploration
· as Paik regarded the notion of participation as crucial in his work, develop a new way of communication that engages audience in a more participatory way in the context of contemporary art
· as Paik was never restrained by canons and conventions, transcend disciplinary boundaries and are freely move between media art, performance, music, video and film to create a new artistic form
· and demonstrate excellence in terms of creativity, experimentality and progressiveness of art-making, regardless of age and nationality.